Well, hopefully I know more stuff than this here list...
Some Sewing Sods Law things I know:
- Even though you think you have just enough thread on the bobbin for the job - You'll find that you are actually 2" short (and you wont realise until you get to the end of your stitching).
- You'll really be on a roll with your sewing/knitting/beading etc. etc. and you probably only need another 15mins to get the project finished, but at this very moment the kids have started grumbling because they're hungry/your partner is now grumbling because he hasn't seen you all day/the dog needs walking etc.
- You are on a roll (again) with your project (even though it's quite sunny outside) so you soldier on promising your kids/partner/doggie that you will take them out as soon as you're done crafting "only another 30 mins" you say. Then when you are done 30 minutes later, it starts raining.
- You decide to save time when cutting fabric from a pattern by layering your fabric and interlinings and cutting all in go - no matter how many pins you use the layers still move about??
- You mum has the uncanny knack of knowing when to call you - just as you have messed something up on your sewing machine - and you are really rather angry...
- You always seem to have a slightly lighter and a slighter dark shade of thread for your fabric, BUT NEVER a great match. Then you go the the shop to buy the right thread and you end up buying armfuls of other stuff...
- Measuring stuff should mean that things match and things should fit, but not necessarily...???
- Scissors, and pins, and chalk, and stitch ripper actually grow legs and go walkies whilst you are sewing, so as soon as you need them they are nowhere to be found - even though you left them RIGHT BESIDE your machine??
- Bobbins just love being on the floor, they love jumping out of your hand/bobbin box/machine and they love rolling under your sewing table. Oh yeah, how annoying is it when lids break off bobbin boxes?
- I'm a very slow learner - I don't like making samples because I'm too impatient. This causes me untold amounts of grief and I will never be a lady because of my foul (sewing) mouth, but will I learn from my mess-ups and make samples? Nope! But other than all of that sewing is ace and I wouldn't be without it.
I must have missed out loads from this list, what things can you add?