Hurray a new bag design! I'm back on the drawing board - love it! I really, really enjoyed putting this design together. I confess the pattern making did challenge my limited maths capabilities, but it's good to push the grey matter (every now and again).
It all started with the unusual double curve top edge of the bag. The top edge of the bag was inspired by my watching Raiders of the Lost Ark (again!). I loved the graceful sweep of the angel wings on the Ark itself. Inspiration is everywhere - thanks Harrison!
The new bag received the all-important 'squeal and cat walk posing in front of the mirror' reaction from the girls in the office. Only thing is there are so many cool features about this bag that we couldn't easily name it. The things I love about this bag are:
- the pretty upturned pleats
- the graceful sweeping double curved top edge
- the chunky designer-looking trigger hooks
- the graphic-looking solid colour straps
- the super-roomy size
- the way the bag looks very; 'New Yorker, Kate Spade' (least I think so).
Click on the pics to enlarge:
Roomy and very up-market-looking (just like me - hahahaha!) To make the best use of this design I think it's best to use stripy or geometric patterned fabrics. This way you will clearly see the upturn curve of the pleats contrasting with the downward curves of the top edge. Also the great thing about geometric patterns it that they make it sooo much easier to make everything symmetrical! FYI I used Heather Bailey, Garden District. home dec stripe in Dove.
Finished size: 16in (W) x 16in (H) x 4in (D) (40.4cm x 40.5cm x 10cm)
Love love love the hardware! The glossy statement trigger hooks are what makes this tote look so grown up, professional (and New Yorker - Kate Spade). I mean really, does this bag look like it was handmade by a scruffy mum in her manky slippers? I think not. :)
So I hope you dig my new design as much as we do. Thing is we can't start offering the pattern until it has a name. Can you help?
Contest Details (please read carefully)
To one lucky winner I'll send a BLANK bag making kit (with pattern) for this bag. It will contain all you need except fabrics, thread and eyelet tool.
To enter all you have to do is comment on THIS PARTICULAR POST by:
- Picking a name for this bag design. As a couple of pointers I tend NOT to name my items after girls names (such as 'Alice Purse' because IMHO that has little meaning...), instead I tend to lean towards names which in some way describe the item.
- Please DO NOT focus on the fabric of this bag as this is a pattern only. Ta!
- Enter as many times as you like.
**SORRY THIS CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED**
Contest Official-ness :
I'll select the winning name in 3 days time - 30th April and announce the winner the following day-ish. Good luck!
- I'll need to ask the winner to make a donation for the postage.
- Sorry I can't notify winners, so please keep an eye for the winner announcement. This is made easier for you if you subscribe to this blog so you don't have to keep checking back, although it's always great to have you pop-in for a read :0)
- Prizes which are not claimed within 3 weeks of the winner announcement will be carried forward to the next draw.
- Sorry I can't reply to contest/draw comments, but I do love reading every single one :)