Here is the result of a mini vote on our U-Handbag FB as to what bag you'd like me to design. Many of you wanted a handy 'fits the essentials; but not the kitchen sink' sized cross body bag. A handy bag that you could swiftly run errands with, breeze through the airport with or just simply use throughout the day to keep your essentials within easy and organised reach. I think this bag will work great for all of those occasions and more. I love designing things according to your specs!
So you wanted a very functional (loads of pockets), hard working type of cross body bag. And that is what she is, but that doesn't mean she can't indulge a pretty side (so I have placed a roomy pocket with saaa-weet insert box pleats on the bag front).
Things we love:
- She's secure - a zippered pocket at the back for your valuables and the main compartment has an (easy to insert) zipper too.
- She's organised - 4 pockets will help separate out your paraphernalia; from epi pen to phone, to sunglasses to ebook reader (and all manner of gubbins in between). Pockets included are: front pocket with tab closure, back zip pocket for valuables and inside are 2 roomy elasticated pockets to help with uber organisation.
- She's a great size - not too big and not too small. She's small enough to not get in the way yet she's big enough to carry the busy lady essentials.
- She's shapely, yet slim - 2 darts at the bag's bottom corners add shape and volume, while keeping the profile of the bag nice and slim (which makes for a comfier, nippier bag - as it should be for a bag that spends most it's time resting on your hip).
- The leather handle finishes off the bag puuurfectly - it strengthens the bag's boutique-bought (or, 'crafted by a sewing genius') looks.
Click on the pics to enlarge:
Roomy, yet nippy. This bag looks great in solids. I chose an 8oz black denim which makes for a smart and grown up contrast to the ditzy mini flower print. The bag strap is this Cross Body Strap.
Measurements: 23.5cm (H) x 28cm (W) x 2.5cm (D) (10in x 11in x 1in).
So I hope you dig my new design as much as we do. Thing is we can't start offering the pattern until it has a name. Can you help?
Contest Details (please read carefully)
To one lucky winner we'll send a BLANK bag making kit (with pattern) for this bag. It will contain all you need except fabrics, thread and zips.
To enter all you have to do is comment on THIS PARTICULAR POST by:
- Picking a name for this bag design. As a couple of pointers I tend NOT to name my items after girls names (such as 'Alice Purse' because IMHO that has little meaning...), instead I tend to lean towards names which in some way describe the item.
- Please DO NOT focus on the fabric of this bag as this is a pattern only. Ta!
- Enter as many times as you like.
Contest Official-ness :
- We'll select the winning name in 6 days time - 16th April (GMT) and announce the winner the following Friday.
- I'll need to ask the winner to make a donation for the postage (the kit will be sent as soon as the pattern is published).
- Sorry I can't notify winners, so please keep an eye for the winner announcement. This is made easier for you if you subscribe to this blog so you don't have to keep checking back, although it's always great to have you pop-in for a read :0)
- Prizes which are not claimed within 3 weeks of the winner announcement will be carried forward to the next draw.
- Sorry I can't reply to contest/draw comments, but I do love reading every single one :