Can't make your mind? Well, with this bag you don't need to! This purse is great for those who like to have cakes and eat them (that's prob a lot of us then!). This purse frame bag is super-versatile as it can be worn in 3 ways. This is because this purse is cleverly interlined in such as way as to make it soft and padded yet it can be easily and neatly folded (minus any unsightly bunching up).
You can wear it:
- Unfolded with handle on top
- Folded with handle on side seams
- Folded and worn as a clutch
This means you could leave the house with the purse folded over and worn as a clutch and (whilst out) should you need the room to fill the bag with nice things you can unfold the bag and wear it hands free on your shoulder. Cool eh?
To accentuate the 'pop-over'-ness of this cute bag, I have made the main body from 2 contrasting fabrics - this looks nice when the bag is unfolded, but when the purse is folded over the 2 fabrics look super-swish layered onto each other. It took me a few goes to figure out exactly where seam between the 2 halves should go, but I think I've got it just right. :)
Another nice feature is that this purse uses a sew-in frame which I hope will please the glue-phobics!
You might be thinking, this purse versatility come at a 'skill-rating' price, but you need not worry. This purse is not tricky and it can be made in 1- 2 evenings of (reasonably) uninterrupted sewing time. Honest!
Things we love:
- She's secure - the purse frames are great for security, snap it shut and run for the bus without worrying.
- She looks so professional - we think she has 'It Girl' looks!
- She's versatile - wear her 3 ways as described above.
- She looks versatile - have fun chopping and changing your exterior and strap fabric options.
- She's roomy or she's neat - unfold or fold her according to your mood or occasion.
Finished size: 11in (H) x 10 5/8in (W) (28cm x 27cm)
Click on the pics to enlarge:
Purse worn folded over with strap at the sides. I love how the 2 different fabrics loook when layered together. I also like how the frame straight edges contrast with the curves sides of the purse bottom half (all designed deliberately, of course!).
So I hope you like my new fold-over purse design as much as we do. Thing is we can't start offering the pattern and kit until it has a name. Can you help?
Contest Details (please read carefully)
To one lucky winner we'll send a BLANK bag making kit (with pattern) for this bag. It will contain all you need except fabrics and threads.
To enter all you have to do is comment on THIS PARTICULAR POST by:
- Picking a name for this bag design. As a couple of pointers I tend NOT to name my items after girls names (such as 'Alice Purse' because IMHO that has little meaning...), instead I tend to lean towards names which in some way describe the item.
- Please DO NOT focus on the fabric of this bag as this is a pattern only. Ta!
- Enter as many times as you like.
Contest Official-ness :
- We'll select the winning name end of next Weds 24th (GMT) and announce the winner the follwing day.
- I'll need to ask the winner to make a donation for the postage (the kit will be sent as soon as the pattern is published).
- Sorry I can't notify winners, so please keep an eye for the winner announcement. This is made easier for you if you subscribe to this blog so you don't have to keep checking back, although it's always great to have you pop-in for a read :0)
- Prizes which are not claimed within 3 weeks of the winner announcement will be carried forward to the next draw.
- Sorry I can't reply to contest/draw comments, but I do love reading every single one. :)