Here is the result of another mini vote on our U-Handbag FB as to what bag you'd like me to design, this time working with zips (Zips, Gaaaaaah zips!).
Yes, I know that some folks DETEST zips. I can see why, they don't look that friendly, but as they are so inexpensive, so secure and can look so nice it is honestly a shame to avoid them for your whole sewing career! So I have created a pattern for these rather swish-looking clutches with an easy to insert Zip.
The zips are easy to insert because I've made this pattern pic-heavy and in the instructions I have really broken it down, taken it niiice and slooooow (in a: 'no one gets left behind' kind of way).
For this zipper pattern most of you wanted either a clutch or a cosmetics purse so in response I've come up with a clutch that is a great size for a clutch or (you guessed right) a cosmetics purse. As a nice extra I've also made up the pattern for a matching darling dinky-doo coin purse as well. As far as I'm concerned there's no reason why your first/early attempt at zips needs to be: 'a 'basic pencil case type thing!'
Things we love:
- They're secure - Zips are up there with the security. Once the zip is shut it stays shut.
- They look so eye catching - Play with the colour combos and your clutches will get alsorts of admiring colours
- 2 perfect sizes - the larger clutch easily stores all the party/quick trip essentials and the coin purse will store your money, tickets and lip-balm.
- They're easy to make - make the clutch in an evening (or two).
- Versatile clutch - Wear the clutch as a wristlet or remove the strap to hold in your hand (or use as a pouch/cosmetic pouch
Click on the pics to enlarge:
See how zips can be a cool design detail? The turquoise zip adds a lovely POP! of colour to the whole purse. I think the purses wouldn't look as good without that colourful zip (the self cover buttons are rather cute as well!).
And here we have a very dinky-doo matching coin purse.
So I hope you dig my new zippy design as much as we do. Thing is we can't start offering the pattern until it has a name. Can you help?
Contest Details (please read carefully)
To one lucky winner we'll send a BLANK bag making kit (with pattern) for these purses. It will contain all you need except fabrics, thread.
To enter all you have to do is comment on THIS PARTICULAR POST by:
- Picking a name for this bag design. As a couple of pointers I tend NOT to name my items after girls names (such as 'Alice Purse' because IMHO that has little meaning...), instead I tend to lean towards names which in some way describe the item.
- Please DO NOT focus on the fabric of this bag as this is a pattern only. Ta!
- Enter as many times as you like.
Contest Official-ness :
- We'll select the winning name in a weeks time - 6th June (GMT) and announce the winner the following Friday.
- I'll need to ask the winner to make a donation for the postage (the kit will be sent as soon as the pattern is published).
- Sorry I can't notify winners, so please keep an eye for the winner announcement. This is made easier for you if you subscribe to this blog so you don't have to keep checking back, although it's always great to have you pop-in for a read :0)
- Prizes which are not claimed within 3 weeks of the winner announcement will be carried forward to the next draw.
- Sorry I can't reply to contest/draw comments, but I do love reading every single one :