Looking for a cute and quick to make purse for Halloween? Do you love cats? Did you watch your mummy embroider a cat face on some velvet (and demand that the resulting purse becomes yours [Mabel?!] If the answer is "yes" to of these read on!
The contrast stitch strap looks very swish with the black purse and the stitching echoes the embroidery very nicely.
You will need:
- 1 x Kitty Clutch Minaudiere frame - buy here
- Black cotton velvet fabric 7" x 16"
- Aleenes Glue - buy here
- Gutermann Glue - buy here
- Your choice of strap - try these straps or these chains
- 6in approx embroidery (optional)
- white embroidery thread for eyes and mouth
- pink embroidery thread for nose
- clear nylon thread, thick enough to show on purse (optional)
How to make:
- Halve and cut the fabric by bringing short edges together.
- Use a embroidery hoop if you have one and stitch this kitty face (template is on 2nd page) onto the right side of one (or both) of the fabric pieces. I used 3 strands of thread and chain stitch for the eyebrows and mouth. I used 3 strands and satin stitch for the nose.
- Optional. Thread nylon whiskers into one side of the nose and out through the other. Thread as many whiskers as desired.
- Follow my tutorial for using Clamshell Clutches EXCEPT IN THE KITTY CLUTCH THERE ARE NO CORNER TO WORK WITH... instead of folding corners, in order to ease wrinkles out you need to wiggle the fabric back and forth over the kitty clutch curved sides and pointy ears. This is actual easier than folding corners and is very satisfying to do. :)
- Pop of chain onto your kitty and step out into night. Happy trick or treating!